XArachelle

"But whatever was to my profit, I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him."-Philippians 3

Monday, December 19, 2005

Quotes from Passion & Purity by Elisabeth Elliot

Passion & Purity is one of my favorite books...here's a little sample of why...

"A giant of the faith like Abraham or Paul the apostle--of course they had to be tested with great tests. I was only a college girl, trying to do well in my studies, praying for direction for my life, attracted to a very appealing man whose pimary interest was in the Kingdom of God. Anything wrong with that?"

"Lord, I have said the eternal Yes. Let me never, having put my hand to the plough, look back. Make straight the way of the Cross before me. Give me love, that there may be no room for a wayward thought or step."

"By trying to grab fulfillment everywhere, we find it nowhere."

"Almighty God, you alone can bring into order the unruly wills and affections of sinners: Grant your people grace to love what you command and desire what you promise; that, among the swift and varied changes of the world, our hearts may surely there be fixed where true joys are to be found; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who live and reigned with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen."--Collect from the Book of Common Prayer

"What kind of a God is it who asks everything of us? The same God who "...did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all; and with this gift how can he fail to lavish upon us all he has to give?" He gives all. He asks all."

"The question to precede all others, which finally determines the course of our lives, is What do I really want? Was it to love what God commands, in the words of the collect, and to desire what He promises? Did I want what I wanted, or did I want what He wanted, no matter what it might cost? Until the will and the affectiosn are brought under the authority of Chirst, we have not begun to understand, let alone to accept, His lordship. The Cross, as it enters the love life, will reveal the heart's truth. My heart, I knew, would be forever a lonely hunter unless settled 'where true joys are to be found.'"

"The Lord told King David to set up an altar on the threshing floor that belonged to Araunah the Jebusite. When the king asked Araunah if he might buy it, Araunah begged him to take it, as a gift, along with his oxen for an offering and the threshing sledges for fuel. "No," said the king, "...I will not offer to the Lord my God whole-offereings that have cost me nothing..." Lord, I said, here's my heart."

1 Comments:

  • At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is also my favorite book. By the way what song is it playing in your background?

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home